Saturday, May 29, 2010

A Labor of Love

Friday May 21, 2010 Ben and I headed out to Winnie Palmer to be induced. We were supposed to go in at 2PM, but at 8AM we received a call that we needed to be there at 9AM instead. Well talk about a rush, all of the last minute things I needed to do would just have to wait. Somehow we managed to make it there in an hour. By 10:30 I had my IV and first dose of Cervadil.

Day 1

We had many visitors throughout the day and I was lucky that until it was time to go down to delivery I was able to eat and drink whatever I wanted. At about 3:30PM I started to have contractions on my own and by about 9PM they were coming about every 2 minutes, but when they checked if I was dilated I was still only 1 centimeter. So over the rest of the night I was given medicine to slow the contractions back down. What a waste all of that work just to have to start again in the morning.

Day 2

At 6:30AM I was given my second dose of Cervadil. Well, Saturday was a very eventful day. Contractions began again and Dr. Peppy came by to see how I was doing. It started off with lots of walking per Dr. Mom, even though I protested they fell on deaf ears. So I walked and walked hoping to progress the dilation. At about 12:30 just after Ben's parents and sister left to pick up lunch and somethings from Target the hospital was placed under lock down. Why you ask? A person called in a bomb threat. Yup, who else would that happen to? So my family's in and Ben's are sitting outside waiting to be let back in. While this was going on I was contracting pretty well. About 2 hours later the bomb threat was cancelled and everyone was back in the room.

Yummy!

It was about 4 when I decided I had enough of the contractions (which were coming every 2 minuets) and wanted to be sent downstairs to get my epidural. Yea!!! So they came and checked me and I had gotten to almost 3 centimeters, finally we were getting somewhere. They fixed up my IV and sent for transport. By about 5PM we were down in Delivery. It moved very quickly from this point. I got my epidural and not to toot my own horn (those who don't know I am terrified of needles) but I did great, didn't move a muscle and just like that it was over and so was the pain. They started the Patosin and I got  my orange popsicle. Now to rest!



OK so there wasn't much resting. Dr. Peppy came in and checked me again and we found out that she was transverse. That means that instead of her being face down she had her head turned to the side. So I got turned every 30 minutes to try to get her to turn. The third time they turned me, I was laying there and Ben was watching TV, when I heard an alarm beeping. I asked Ben if he hit a button or something and he said no. Then my amazing nurse came in and checked the monitors and said to us that a lot of people were going to be coming in and that was normal. Well, she was right and I was trying not to worry, but poor Ben was and had texted my mom to come back before I could even ask him to. Olivia's heart rate dropped and they said it was because since the last time I was checked and was at 3 centimeters, I had gone to 7 centimeters. The quick change was what made her stress a little bit. So they put on a internal monitor to check her heart rate more precisely. Only a couple hours and I went 4 centimeters, fantastic. Well, crisis averted.



I made up my mind that she would be here between 10:30 and 11PM and around 9PM we were ready to push. Yea finally! After a little over an hour of pushing at 11:04 Miss Olivia Marie made her grand entrance. She weighed 7lbs 12oz and was perfect. 

Olivia Marie!!!

Proud Mommy and Daddy with our little Princess!


LOVE!



1 comment:

  1. Aw! Good job momma, sounds like it was an exciting couple of days! Hope you are enjoying being a mom and loving on Oliva every second possible. :)

    ReplyDelete