Friday, December 16, 2011

Sisters! Sisters!

My Sister/My Friend

You are someone I look up to
You were there when I needed you most.
Though we’ve had our differences
You were someone I have always loved.
Thanks for being my sister.
It means more than I can say.
We are sisters because we’re related
But I choose to call you friend.

As I sit back and think of my little princess becoming a big sister to a little brother, I am reminded of my own sister and all of the amazing things she has done for me.

Going to dinner for my birthday while I was pregnant with Olivia.
'White Christmas' being one of our favorite movies to watch anytime of the year has a particularly important song in it. This is one of my favorite songs in the movie and a nice little nod to my sister.


Let me begin by saying that I am very grateful to have a sister as wonderful as I do. Yes, I may not have always realized this and by that I mean for the first few (read: many) years I didn't want to have a sister. I was in my glory as an only child (as short lived as that was) until they brought that little baby home and she didn't leave. Mom tells of the time where she was in the cradle in the living room and she caught me pushing it really high trying to turn it over. Don't worry I didn't succeed and it was then pushed up against a wall. There is also a video that Daddy shot of me laying on the edge of the couch and Jamie sitting on the floor in front of me. Sweet I know until you realize that I had the back of her overalls in my hand. When we were in school at St. Mary Magdalen I think 4th and 3rd grades I put her panties in her backpack so when she pulled out her book out they would come as well.

Please do not fear for all the not so nice things I did to her while she was younger I sure got my payback. Somewhere between grade school and high school she became much smarter than I, clever I should say! The one that I will never forget is a night we returned home late from a Solar Bears game. As I was flushing the toilet I was sprayed (from the clean top tank, I feel the need to add that) with water. I was screaming and after Mom and Dad found Jamie giggling under her covers they pieced together what she had done. Yes, yes, how can they be mad and scold her when it was so damn funny and what kid would think to pull the little tube out and stick it between the tank and the lid.

No matter what our past and not getting alongness there may have been I have always been very protective of my little (read: younger, because she out grew me a long time ago) sister. My favorite was a time she had  boy at our house and I came home upset for one of the million teenage girl things and he was just being plain rude. So I told him to get out of our house...he listened.  

I can apparently grow much past my small size and have nerves of steel when I need to and one of those times is when you are messing with my family. I am allowed to not like her and be mean to her but no one else better even try!

 
My sister has always been one to have a tough exterior and in my 27 years with her I am still surprised by things she does. Jamie has never been one to show her emotions or let you know how much you truly mean to her. Much unlike myself where I wear my heart on my sleeve, she guards it and only lets you see it when she wants you to. We have control issues!

 


She let me in when I had my first child. Jamie showed up at the hospital just as the sun was rising, only a few hours after Olivia was born. Everyone else was home still and as I was working on getting out of bed to take a shower when in walks Jamie (no warning, no call (I may have gotten a text?), just Jamie). Ben was going to help me get ready, then go retrieve Olivia from the nursery but instead Jamie offered to help me so that Ben was able to spend some quiet time with his daughter. Not many people would come in and put aside the urge to pick up and hold a newborn, but my sister put me first. She spent the next hour and a half helping me shower and get dressed. She even dried and straightened my hair, no argument just a wantonness to help. What others saw was Jamie's Facebook status saying, "The early bird gets the worm!" with a picture of her holding Olivia. See, she doesn't want anyone to know how awesome she really is.

                                         

Since Olivia has been around I have seen a side of my sister that I never thought existed. She takes her role as Aunt and God Mother very seriously, but don't get me wrong she is the first to teach Olivia how to have FUN, like jumping on my bed. Each day she never ceisis' to amaze me.

I have taken lots of time to think of what I am grateful for as a daughter, sister, wife, and mother, Jamie is certainly one of things on the top of my list. It may have taken me awhile to see all of her wonderful attributes but I since I have I wouldn't trade her for any amount of money in the world.

She is my sister and only mine.

I hope that one day Olivia and Benjamin will have the type of relationship that her and I have now. I would like to skip the beginning when I didn't care for her and just skip to the good stuff. I know that there is arguments that I will be breaking up but as long as I instill the love between the two of them like my parents did, I think I have done my job.


No comments:

Post a Comment